Kouts Elementary School is part of a K-12 facility located in the town of Kouts, in Pleasant Township of Porter County, Indiana. The elementary wing is comprised of two additions added to the original structure in 1959 and 1969. In 2000 we completed an extensive renovation program which included art and music rooms, a computer lab, an enlarged media center, and air conditioning. During the summer months of 2005, the building was completely renovated inside, including classrooms, hallways, and restrooms. Again in 2009, additional space was added in the form of seven classrooms, two Large Group Instruction Rooms, an elementary dining room, and an elementary gym. Presently, there are four sections of full-day kindergarten and grade three; and three sections of grades one, two, four, and five. Class sizes range from the mid-teens to the mid-twenties. Beginning with the 1998-99 school year, Kouts School realigned grade levels, and Kouts Elementary School is now a K-5 facility.
Administratively, the Kouts Schools are part of the East Porter County School Corporation which includes Morgan, Pleasant, and Washington Townships in Porter County. Newly reorganized as of January 1, 1994, the school system is administered by a superintendent and a seven-member board. At the local level, Kouts Elementary School has one full-time administrator.
Kouts Elementary School supports the small-town community feel in many ways: small class sizes; caring and supportive teachers; and staff that clearly believe “It takes a village.”
Developing long-lasting relationships with my students is important in establishing authentic rapport with them. Having this rapport allows me to know all 400+ students by name and results in more positive and disciplined climate.
You can expect an honest, fair, and respectful response from me in every circumstance.
The KOUTS Elementary School Difference
• Friendly family environment clearly evident with parent
• Compassionate, caring students and staff
• Friendly, visible, approachable administrator
• An open door policy that encourages a teamwork approach
• Challenging academics in a safe, friendly atmosphere
• Strong research-based remediation programs in which
struggling students are supported academically
• Many extra-curricular opportunities for students: Art Club,
Basket ball, Followers Bible Club, Math Bowl, Porter County
Spelling Bee, Rise and Shine Walking Club, Spell Bowl, and
Kouts Elementary School has consistently scored well above all state averages on all ISTEP+, IREAD, and now the new ILEARN Assessments. We take pride in our level of student success and mastery of academic standards as well as our individualized learning that takes into consideration the whole child.
It's not just about academic achievement for Kouts Elementary; it's about academic, social, emotional and physical growth and success for every child.
• All visitors must identify themselves and the reason
for their visit before entrance to the locked building is
permitted. Sign-in at the office, with the visitor issued a pass, is required.
• Continuous adult supervision of students
• Few office discipline referrals due to strong adult-child relationships
• Character Education programs at all elementary grade levels
• Full-time Student Service Specialist for Grades K-12 students and